This weeks Kidsedchatnz is all about family. Our families play a huge part in who we are and who we will become. To prepare for this weeks chat, talk to mum, dad, uncles, aunties or grandparents to learn about your family, both past and present. Try to find some interesting stories or facts that you might be able to share.
Try to watch these videos before the session to understand more about how important families are.
Please remember not to name family members during the chat. Refer to them as Mum, Dad, brother or sister etc.
1. Who makes up your immediate family? (No names, just people ie mum, dad, brother, 2 sisters etc)
2. What position were you born in your family? Oldest? Youngest? Middle? What's it like being that position?
3. What is special about your family? What do you love about your family?
4. Would you prefer to be in a big family or small family? Why?
5. Do you have any family traditions? (Holidays, fun activities etc)
6. How often do you spend time with your grandparents? Do you think it's important to spend time with them?
7. What's the best piece of advice a family member has given you?
8. Share a story about your family. What's something interesting or funny we can learn about them?
9) It's father's day on Sunday, can you send a special message to your dad?
10) Just for fun! Make a poem, sentence or story using these 3 words: Gathering, Proud, Cherish.
Throughout the whole chat, try to ask questions about others families. Maybe look for someone who is similar to you (youngest of 3 kids, only boy/girl in the family etc) and see if they feel the same way about their family as you do. Or ask questions of others who come from a larger/smaller family to try to find out what it is like for them.
Most importantly, talk to your parents/grandparents to find out as much as you can about your family.