Every year since 1975 Aotearoa has marked Māori Language Week. This is a time for all New Zealanders to celebrate te reo Māori (the Māori language) and to use more Māori phrases in everyday life. In 2018 Māori Language Week runs from 10-16 Mahuru, the theme is ; 'When we say we’re saying - .
Ahakoa iti, ākona, kōrerotia - Learn a little, use a little
A challenge this week could be to take a kiriāhau!
You could also ask your teacher to download the Kupu Spark app from the app store as this will certainly help you build your use of te reo.
This weeks questions:
- How are you celebrating Te Wiki o te Reo Māori in your class/school?
- Why is this an important week for Aotearoa?
- How does New Zealand as a country celebrate Māori Language Week?
- Can you name any local places of significance that have a Māori name?Why are they significant?
- What is your favourite Māori phrase or a saying you have heard this week?
- What other languages are a part of your school and are these celebrated?
- What are the three official languages of New Zealand?
- If Aotearoa was to officially celebrate another language what language do you think that should be? Why?
- Do you know of other countries that celebrate a second language in their country? What country and how do they celebrate?
This week you could include one of these #hastags with you tweet.
We look forward to seeing you on Wednesday at 2pm for our chat.