This year Matariki will begin on 18 June. You can get a chance to see Matariki if you get up very early in the morning.
In preparation for our chat:
- Design a poster to advertise Matariki (incorporate the star cluster and the time of year)
- Find out all about the Matariki constellation by playing this interactive game.
- What do you think Matariki is all about?
- Is Matariki a happy or sad time? Why do you think that?
- There are two meanings to Matariki. Tell us what they are.
- What does the rising of Matariki signal to the Māori?
- Do you celebrate Matariki? If you do, tell us how.
- What are your favourite party foods?
- What is something that you have learned about Matariki that you did not know before?
- Share some of your art work or the poster that you have designed and tell us about it shortly.